Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tribalisation of markets

It’s been a while since I posted anything on my blog. I just did a lecture on Tribal marketing to my Internet marketing class. While it is fresh in my head, thought I continue from my previous posting on Tribal marketing.

Tribal marketing is a segmentation exercise based on emotions. It is an incredibly powerful approach for creating tight-knit communities loyal to the emotive cause. Three elements are fundamental for Tribal marketing to be effective. They are 1) chieftain, 2) signs and emblems, and 3) meeting places. Notice I am using tribal terminologies. The nice thing about Tribal marketing is that these elements get established as tribalisation occurs. What’s important is that marketers recognise the elements as they get established and promote them within the tribe.

The role of marketers in Tribal marketing is that of facilitating individuals to get together to form a community. A website can serve in this task. The community grows by members recruiting new members. If the segmentation and targeting are done correctly, the growth of the tribe will be exponential. When the community reaches the size to have chieftains, you will have a stable market. At this stage, you will also notice signs and emblems and meeting places getting established. One example of tribal marketing in New Zealand is Vodafone’s One Tribe - http://www.vodafoneonetribe.co.nz/. Trademe uses many Tribal marketing principles. It will be interesting to find out if that is their marketing strategy.

If what I said so far sounds interesting, recommend reading Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin.

Next time, will blog about how to achieve business objectives using Tribal marketing – Ciao till then: )

No comments:

Post a Comment